On the Road: Treatin’ Yourself in Michiana on Easter Sunday



Let me begin by saying when it comes to Western Michigan’s Harbor Country and its small town neighbors, I’m incredibly biased and that tradition of bias has been further solidified by this solo Easter Sunday trip. Once again a beautiful day and my tendency to follow my carnal impulses and curiosity has led me to the sweet town of Three Oaks, Michigan where old school industry has been granted a new life via an appreciation for modernizing, not expelling, the rustic charm of days gone by. Home to one of the friendliest Speedways in the Midwest, it also touts enviable farm style homes, hilly roads, gorgeous scenery and a culturally evolving downtown sure to be bustling soon. Today I decided to make one of its more notable must-sees my HQ for maxing and relaxing with the written word, Journeyman Distillery’s Staymaker restaurant and bar.


I’ve been flirting with coming to this place for a minute and while I'm truly glad today was the day I made good on that desire, I wish I had someone to enjoy the brilliant surroundings with but, c’est la vie. Journeyman is a whiskey distillery in the refurbished site of E.K. Warren’s buggy whip and corset factory, that also shares a space with a theatre and an antiques shop. Insert history here: Edward Kirk Warren was an inventor who figured out a way to substitute the stiffer whalebone for the longer lasting turkey featherbone in corsets which were much more to his clientele's liking; and thus this historic factory was born and booming.

The word charm doesn’t give this space half the credit it deserves; it's a wow-er! First off the space is massive, it's about the size of two restaurants with its distillery on display right off of the dining area. Complete with original exposed brick, reclaimed wood and stainless steel counter tops, this joint is a loft-lovers fantasy come to life...it's simply delicious.


Now on to the good stuff! In this city meets country atmosphere it’s easy to enjoy the mastery of distilling whiskey; my fave. Which is why I decided to be a good little first-timer and went with the whiskey tasting flight, complete with (6) W.R. Whiskey (white whiskey--eek), (7) Last Feather Rye Whiskey, (8) Buggy Whip Wheat Whiskey, (9) Silver Cross Whiskey and (10) Featherbone Bourbon Whiskey. So on with the tasting! Going down the line, again a bias, I’m not a fan of white whiskey so despite the (6) W.R.’s hints of banana and mangoes it still just tastes like flavored rubbing alcohol to me, NEXT! (7) The Last Feather is definitely a step up in smell and flavor, though I still get a bit of a bite in the tail. This would definitely be better in a mixed drink, on to the next! The (8) Buggy Whip has a more subtle smell and a more robust taste and is a lot smoother going down, me likey and recommend-y as a sipping whiskey. (9) Silver Cross, if I was making this a competition this would be the clear winner. It's smell is like that of a distinguished gentleman’s cologne, no pomp, no circumstance just all class and a hint of good, fine living. The taste, well the taste; heaven’s it’s grand. The ultimate in sipping whiskey, super smooth, no bite, classic legend status. I imagine this is what everyone means by a good whiskey, clearly the work of a master-distiller; definitely ambrosia status. All the thumbs-up! And finally (10) Featherbone Bourbon which has a delicious maple smell and taste yet, has a bite somewhere in-between the level of (7) The Last Feather and the (8) Buggy Whip. Not terrible but most certainly not the Silver Cross, but few things are in this world, whoa it gives me shivers.


Just to make sure that it's true love between me and the Silver Cross I had to try it as a mix drink ala a Whiskey Sour with egg white and something else that’s light and delicious...cinnamon maybe? This little philly is quite surprisingly refreshing, perhaps mixed with a little more ice than I’d like but the notes/elements aren't lost on me. Served in a delicately stemmed glass that might be chilled, makes this classy drink that much more bougie which I am always here for. Ooooh, there go those shivers again.

To wrap-up this experience succinctly is a little difficult but alas I must try. Journeyman Distillery is the kinda spot you wished you thought up and is the kind of haunt all whiskey drinkers are quite in danger of calling a second home. The staff is attentive and knowledgable and seem genuinely pleased to be here which, let's face it, isn't that hard to be. Oh and note: when I walked in they had Euro Trip’s legendary ‘Scottie Doesn’t Know’ blasting over the speakers so to me that gives this fine establishment cred that’s particularly hard to come by. So, when in this neck of the Michigan woods, do yourself a favor and stop-in, you will have a truly wonderful experience!

Comments